Fall

Well it's officially fall- I know this not because the solstice has passed, nor because Old Time Pottery has Christmas decorations out, but because Columbia is no longer 98 F. Celebration is in order!

I love fall. I can walk to class sweat-free, drink hot drinks while wearing scarves, and light some cozy candles while I study. More importantly, it's time for baking, crocheting, decorating for the holidays, and celebrating our October anniversary.

Mark finds an apple
Mark and I went apple picking for our 3 year anniversary (see previous post...). It was packed! This was the first year we went on time, so it was fairly crowded and there were apples left on the trees.


The next day I went ahead and made apple pie. Mark really likes apple pie, I like it only a little. But every year at this time I manage to make him one. This one was completely from scratch. My favorite part is the pie crust... I like doing the lattice top and brushing it with milk and sugar to make it shiny and brown when it's done. Sorry, I don't have a finished product picture (you can blame Mark).

filling the pie with fresh picked apples

lattice top
making the crust pretty
I finally broke down and bought "official" fall decorations. The past couple of years I've been using this fake leaf garland, trying to stretch it out as far as possible (i.e. break off leaves and scatter them in different places, not so appealing...). Now I have real decorations, even some for halloween and thanksgiving! I get a excited about these things:

fall flowers,pumpkins, leaves
my first Thanksgiving decoration
all is complete with a cider candle
Happy October! 

No comments: